Monday, April 11, 2016

Finally, Progress Towards the Main Idea

With Some Serious Revisions

I have scraped the connection to the elements and the zodiac. Trying to balance both has proven to be two broad of a topic. However, I'm using the idea of varying textures (like I was originally doing to show the differences between the elements).

At this point, I felt pretty stuck. I didn't really know how to move forward and my panic was causing me to lose motivation.

Luckily we had a guest speaker come in to talk to us and while we pitched our projects to her, she mentioned a video game that used simple graphics and geometric shapes to create a complex and unique game. This was a game that I had recent watched a playthrough of and I absolutely fell in love with the art direction and story telling. The game is Journey by Thatgamecompany and is available for PS3, PS4, and PC. Here are some in-game screenshots:

I don't really think I can explain why but her mention of this seemed to be the kick I needed to continue on. I think it's because the game is so simple. You don't speak. There's no dialogue. It's just you and another player (at times) that you can't communicate with except for a unique chime each player is assigned, no two the same. The game tells the story visually and that's what I've wanted to do from the beginning: I've wanted to tell a story. I wanted people to know that I have this lifelong love of origami and I while I may be a design major, I have many other interests that utilize design that isn't meant for print or screen.

Like many others in my field, I took a lot of other art classes that had nothing to do with design. However, I was either really terrible at them due to lack of natural talent or I would take forever to do the same work as everyone around me (that also might have been because I'm a perfectionist). When I took my Electronic Design I course in high school, I could apply all the skills that I had been attempting in all my other classes in one cohesive unit.

Simple things come together to make something complex and unique.

Simple things come together to make something complex and unique.

Simple things come together to make something complex and unique.

That's what inspired me to make these dresses in the first place!! Boom! Hello motivation, my old friend! Let's get back to work!

No comments :

Post a Comment