Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Crystal Growing

As I mentioned in a previous post, I've been growing some crystals to study how they form. Currently I have four crystals growing. Three are formed from monoammonium phosphate, and one is formed from potassium aluminum sulfate.

Here, I have a base rock that the crystals will grow onto. Yellow dye was added in order to view the final product better (I also have one in green and blue). After 24 hours, this is what the formation has started to look like. All three of them have relatively stayed the same for the past few days.

These are alum crystals that formed over the past few days. Out of these, I took the largest "seed crystal" and I'm now using that as a base to expand upon and form a larger crystal.
I plan to let all of these grow for the next week or so.


1 comment :