Monday, February 1, 2016

The needles are IN! Let the Experiments commence

And so, as I just mentioned, the needles I have been waiting (FAR too long) for have arrived, and tonight was my first crack with them. For this I used just regular cheap Dollar Store bubble wrap, Vet med hypodermic needles and airbrush paint diluted in water. From this I learned a couple of things and I have questions I hope to answer.











































What I Learned:
- This process is rather time consuming. It is difficult to only pierce the bubble portion and not the backing of the wrap. Doing so requires slow motions and a steady hand.
- For the more finished products it is necessary to get wrap with NO perforations as the bubbles around the perforations are deflated and won't hold liquid.

New questions I have:
- Will the mixture of paint and water begin to separate as it sits for any length of time?
- If so what new dye can I use (maybe food coloring)?
- Is there a way to seal the very small incisions once open?
- What would be the best method of transportation of the final pieces? Or would these have to be made on site?
-I would love to incorporate color gradations into the final piece, is this a feasible idea?

Here's my test piece and me playing with the lighting. Comments?






1 comment :

  1. I like where this is going - try changing up the colors and make gradients maybe?

    ReplyDelete