Monday, April 11, 2016

Models: A Deviation

So one of the first things that comes up on a google search of "Modular Origami" is a tutorial on how to make these itty bitty units that are maybe an inch big. These units "cap" each other to form each model. Unlike the previous models I've posted about, these units allow the create to make virtually anything they could think off. They offer the creator a lot more options than the geometric models can. I've included some examples below:


I decided to try my hand at creating this little units. However, a problem quickly presented itself.
This unit is made up of 36 pieces and was constructed using a single sheet of 8 1/2 x 11 copy paper. It fits in the palm of my hand. My hands are very small so this wasn't good. How was I supposed to cover a dress form with these? I would very realistically need several thousand to do a single dress.

The only really cool thing about this model was the fact that the edges of the paper were wicked sharp. Gave me an idea to test out in the future: paper brass knuckles. Or jewelry if you could stand the constant jabs in the neck.

I brought this up to John and he said that maybe I could use these to make miniature models of the dresses. It was great idea in theory.
And I had every intention of doing it. I cut up over 1,000 pieces of paper and folded about 300 hundred in a week before deciding that I was never going to finish anything if I continued down this path. I would need about 1,000 units for each model.

Back to the drawing board.

No comments :

Post a Comment